ExpressVPN and ProtonVPN have established reputations for providing robust VPN services. But they have distinct characteristics and offerings that might make one more suitable for your needs than the other. Let’s compare these two services based on six criteria: servers, features, security, price, speed, and support.
EXPRESS VPV vs PROTON VPN
ExpressVPN offers an impressive service with a focus on security, speed, and global coverage. The innovative TrustedServer technology adds to its security credibility, while the extensive server distribution ensures great performance.
ProtonVPN is a reliable choice for anyone seeking to improve their online privacy and security. It excels in security and privacy, boasting strong encryption, advanced features, and a no-logs policy.
In today’s interconnected world, the value of privacy, security, and unrestricted access to online resources can’t be overstated. Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) have emerged as the go-to solution for many of these needs, but with a plethora of services on the market, choosing the right one can be daunting. Among the most reputable names in the VPN industry are ExpressVPN and ProtonVPN. Both have carved out a niche for themselves by offering robust services designed to safeguard your online activities while providing you with a slew of features aimed at optimizing your internet experience.
This detailed comparison seeks to dive into the intricacies of these two titans in the VPN industry. We’ll explore and evaluate them based on several critical criteria: servers, features, security, price, speed, support, and location. Our aim is to provide you with an in-depth analysis that could guide you in making an informed decision. Interestingly, each service has its own unique strengths and minor drawbacks, making the ultimate choice far from straightforward. Therefore, our verdict won’t crown a clear winner but rather present the strong points of each to help you align your choice with your specific needs.
- Number of Servers: Over 3100 servers
- Locations: Around 160 locations in 94 countries
- Server Quality: Premium servers with a high-speed guarantee
- Number of Servers: Over 3000 servers
- Locations: 68 countries
- Server Quality: Includes high-speed and Tor servers
In-depth Comparison: ExpressVPN offers a wider range of servers and more country locations, giving users a more extensive choice for geo-unblocking and routing. ProtonVPN, however, offers specialized servers, including Tor over VPN.
- Ease of Use: User-friendly interface
- Special Features: Split tunneling, MediaStreamer for streaming
- Devices: Up to 5 simultaneous connections
- Ease of Use: Functional but less intuitive interface
- Special Features: Secure Core servers, built-in ad blocker
- Devices: Depending on the plan, 1 to 10 simultaneous connections
In-depth Comparison: ExpressVPN offers a very user-friendly experience and unique features like MediaStreamer for more accessible streaming. ProtonVPN offers the Secure Core architecture to route traffic through multiple servers and includes a built-in ad blocker.
- Encryption: AES-256
- Protocols: OpenVPN, IKEv2, Lightway (their proprietary protocol)
- Additional Features: Kill switch, zero-knowledge DNS
- Encryption: AES-256
- Protocols: OpenVPN, IKEv2
- Additional Features: Kill switch, Secure Core, Tor over VPN
In-depth Comparison: Both services offer robust encryption and security features. ProtonVPN stands out with its Secure Core servers and Tor over VPN option, while ExpressVPN introduces its proprietary Lightway protocol aimed at fast and secure connections.
- Monthly Plan: Around $12.95/month
- Long-Term Plans: Up to $99.95/year
- Monthly Plan: Free basic plan, premium starts at $5/month
- Long-Term Plans: Up to $8/month for a two-year plan
In-depth Comparison: ProtonVPN offers a free basic plan and generally cheaper premium plans. ExpressVPN is pricier but often cited as providing a premium service for the cost.
- Performance: Known for providing consistently high speeds.
- Performance: Generally good speeds but can be variable depending on the server.
In-depth Comparison: ExpressVPN has a reputation for faster and more consistent server speeds, while ProtonVPN’s performance can vary.
- Customer Support: 24/7 live chat, email support, extensive knowledge base
- Customer Support: Email support, comprehensive FAQ section, no live chat
In-depth Comparison: ExpressVPN offers more robust customer support, including 24/7 live chat. ProtonVPN relies mainly on email support and their FAQ section.
Verdict: No Clear Winner
Both VPN services offer strong options but for different user needs. ExpressVPN shines in server diversity, speed, and customer support. ProtonVPN stands out for its strong security features and more budget-friendly pricing options. The best choice will ultimately depend on what features are more crucial for your specific requirements.