Private Internet Access, often abbreviated as PIA, is a product of London Trust Media and has been a mainstay in the VPN industry since its establishment in 2010. The company is based in the United States, a country part of the Five Eyes alliance, which might be a point of consideration for privacy-conscious users. Despite this, PIA has built a reputation for its staunch commitment to user privacy and a strictly enforced no-logs policy. This review will provide a comprehensive analysis of Private Internet Access (PIA), one of the leading providers in the VPN market. We will focus on the following core aspects of the service: servers, security, price, speed, and support.
With a massive server network, robust security features, competitive pricing, and satisfactory speed, PIA VPN caters well to most users' needs.
PIA VPN Servers
PIA boasts an impressive network of servers, housing over 30 thousands servers across 84 countries. This vast server network ensures users have a wide array of options for bypassing geo-restrictions and accessing diverse content from around the globe. Moreover, a large number of servers reduce the chances of any single server being overwhelmed by users, maintaining the service’s stability and speed.
PIA VPN Features
Private Internet Access (PIA) offers a host of features aimed at protecting your privacy and security online. Here are some of the key features offered by PIA:
- Strong Encryption: PIA employs AES-256 encryption, which is considered to be among the most secure encryption methods and is used worldwide by governments and cybersecurity experts.
- Multiple VPN Protocols: PIA supports various VPN protocols, including OpenVPN, WireGuard, and IKEv2. This variety allows users to choose the best protocol that suits their specific needs for security and speed.
- No-Logs Policy: Despite being based in the US, PIA adheres to a strict no-logs policy, meaning they do not store any identifiable information about their users’ online activities.
- MACE: This built-in feature blocks ads, trackers, and malware, providing users with a safer and cleaner browsing experience.
- Kill Switch: This feature automatically disconnects your device from the internet if the VPN connection drops unexpectedly, thereby preventing your real IP address and online activities from being exposed.
- P2P Support: PIA supports peer-to-peer file sharing on its network, making it a good choice for users who frequently engage in torrenting.
- Simultaneous Connections: PIA allows up to 10 simultaneous connections under a single subscription, allowing users to secure multiple devices at once.
- 24/7 Customer Support: PIA offers round-the-clock customer support via live chat and a ticket system to help users resolve any issues or queries.
- Split Tunneling: This feature allows you to decide which apps or services use the VPN connection and which directly access the internet. It’s useful for managing your network traffic and reducing the load on your VPN connection.
These are some of the key features that make PIA a reliable and robust VPN service. However, the availability of certain features may depend on the specific device and platform you’re using, so it’s recommended to check the specifics on PIA’s website or contact their customer support for more detailed information.
PIA VPN Security
Security is one area where PIA truly shines. The VPN provider employs AES-256 encryption, the same standard used by various government bodies and banks worldwide, providing top-notch security for user data. PIA supports a variety of VPN protocols, including OpenVPN, WireGuard, and IKEv2, allowing users to find the perfect balance between speed and security according to their needs. PIA also includes a built-in ad, tracker, and malware blocker called MACE. This feature provides an extra layer of protection, preventing unwanted ads and potential malware from hampering your online experience.
A significant aspect of PIA’s commitment to privacy is its strict no-logs policy. Despite being based in the US, PIA has proven its no-logs policy in court, demonstrating that it does not store any identifiable information about its users.
PIA VPN Price
PIA offers three main pricing plans: monthly, yearly, and a two-year plan. As of August 2023, the monthly plan costs $11.95, the annual plan costs $3.33 per month (billed as $39.95 annually), and the two-year plan costs $2.69 per month (billed as $69.95 every two years).
Compared to other VPN providers in the market, PIA’s pricing is competitive, especially considering the robust features and extensive server network it provides. Additionally, they offer a 30-day money-back guarantee, allowing users to test out the service risk-free.
PIA VPN Speed
A VPN’s speed can significantly impact the user experience, particularly when downloading large files, streaming content, or gaming. During our tests, PIA demonstrated impressive speed performance on various servers. Of course, the speed can vary depending on factors such as server location and network congestion, but in most cases, PIA provides more than adequate speed for most online activities.
PIA VPN Customer Support
PIA offers 24/7 customer support through a live chat and ticket system. Their support team is knowledgeable and quick to respond, often resolving issues within a reasonable time frame. Moreover, PIA’s website features a comprehensive knowledge base with a range of tutorials and troubleshooting guides, providing self-help resources to users.
PIA VPN ★ Pros and Cons ★ Verdict:
PIA VPN aka Private Internet Access is an excellent VPN service that delivers on most fronts. In a digital world brimming with cybersecurity threats and privacy concerns, VPN services have become an essential tool for many internet users. With a massive server network, robust security features, competitive pricing, and satisfactory speed, it caters well to most users' needs. While being based in the US might raise some eyebrows, its proven commitment to a no-logs policy should alleviate most privacy concerns.
- Extensive server network with 30,000+ servers in 84 countries
- Strong encryption and multiple VPN protocols
- Competitive pricing with a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Fast server speeds
- 24/7 customer support
- Based in the US, which is part of the Five Eyes intelligence alliance