PureVPN is a product of GZ Systems Ltd, a software company that launched its VPN service back in 2007. The company is based in Hong Kong, which puts it outside of the jurisdiction of the Five Eyes, Nine Eyes, and Fourteen Eyes surveillance alliances—an advantage for those concerned about governmental prying into their online activities. Over the years, PureVPN has established itself as a reliable provider, offering a suite of services that cater to a broad range of user needs. Among the multitude of providers in the market, PureVPN stands out with its high-quality service. In this review, we will thoroughly examine PureVPN in five main categories: servers, security, price, speed, and support.
PureVPN, with its comprehensive set of features and competitive pricing, succeeds in striking the balance and stands as a strong contender in the realm of VPN services.
One of the most critical aspects of a VPN service is its network of servers. PureVPN excels in this area, boasting a network of more than 6,500 servers spread across over 140 countries. The presence of servers in such a vast number of locations allows PureVPN to provide comprehensive global coverage, granting users the ability to access geo-restricted content from virtually anywhere in the world. Users can enjoy streaming platforms, social networks, news outlets, and other internet services that might be blocked in their region. Furthermore, PureVPN’s server selection is straightforward and user-friendly, making it easy even for VPN newbies to connect to their desired location.
PureVPN offers a range of features designed to make it easy to securely access the internet from any location. Here’s a breakdown of some of its key features:
- Massive Server Network: PureVPN boasts a network of more than 6,500 servers in over 140 countries, providing extensive global coverage. This wide network ensures you can bypass geo-restrictions and access content from almost anywhere in the world.
- High-Grade Encryption: PureVPN employs AES-256 encryption, often referred to as ‘military-grade’. This high level of encryption makes it virtually impossible for anyone to decipher intercepted data.
- Multiple VPN Protocols: PureVPN supports various VPN protocols, including OpenVPN, IKEv2, SSTP, and the newer WireGuard protocol. This feature allows users to choose the balance between security and speed that suits their specific needs.
- Kill Switch: This feature automatically disconnects your internet connection if your VPN connection drops unexpectedly, preventing accidental exposure of your data or real IP address.
- No-Logs Policy: PureVPN is committed to a strict no-logs policy, which means they don’t keep any record of your online activities, providing an additional layer of privacy.
- Split Tunneling: This feature allows you to decide which traffic goes through the VPN and which accesses the internet directly. It’s especially useful when you want to protect specific activities without slowing down other online activities.
- DNS Leak Protection: This feature ensures that your DNS requests are always routed securely through the VPN, preventing DNS leaks that could expose your online activities.
- 10 Multi Logins: PureVPN allows up to 10 simultaneous connections under a single account, so you can protect multiple devices at the same time.
- 24/7 Customer Support: PureVPN provides round-the-clock customer support via live chat and email to help users resolve any issues promptly.
- P2P Enabled: PureVPN supports peer-to-peer file sharing, which makes it a good choice for users who need to use services like BitTorrent.
- Dedicated IP: PureVPN offers dedicated IP addresses as an add-on feature. This can be useful for online banking, accessing a home security system, or setting up a private server.
- Ozone (Add-on Feature): A suite of advanced security features including content filtering, antivirus, anti-malware, and IDS/IPS protection to provide an extra layer of protection.
It’s important to note that the availability of certain features can depend on the specific device and platform you’re using, so it’s a good idea to check the specifics for your device on PureVPN’s website or with their customer service.
PureVPN takes security seriously. The provider employs military-grade AES-256 encryption, which is the same level of encryption used by many governmental agencies worldwide. This encryption standard ensures that even if an intruder intercepts your data, they won’t be able to decipher it.
PureVPN also provides a variety of protocols, including OpenVPN, IKEv2, SSTP, and the newer WireGuard protocol. The option to switch between these protocols gives users the flexibility to choose between speed and security according to their needs. Also, the inclusion of a kill switch feature, which automatically disconnects your internet if the VPN connection drops, prevents accidental exposure of your real IP address or data.
Furthermore, PureVPN is committed to a strict no-logs policy. They do not keep any record of users’ online activities, ensuring that even they can’t link you to any specific data packet. This feature is crucial for users who place a high value on their privacy.
When it comes to pricing, PureVPN offers an impressive balance between cost and features. It provides several subscription plans, including a monthly plan, a 1-year plan, and a 2-year plan. As of August 2023, the monthly plan is priced at $10.95, the 1-year plan at $5.82 per month, and the 2-year plan at $3.33 per month.
Compared to other top-tier VPN providers, PureVPN’s pricing is competitive, especially considering the range of features and the size of their server network. They also offer a 31-day money-back guarantee, which is a nice perk, providing an option for those who want to test the service before fully committing.
The speed of a VPN service can greatly affect the user experience, particularly when streaming, gaming, or downloading. In our tests, PureVPN delivered above-average speeds on many of its servers. Of course, the speed can vary depending on the server location and the user’s distance from it, but PureVPN’s performance is still commendable. While it may not be the absolute fastest VPN in the market, it provides sufficiently high speeds for most online activities.
Customer support is a crucial factor, particularly for less tech-savvy users who might need help setting up or troubleshooting their VPN. PureVPN provides 24/7 customer support via live chat and email. Their support team is responsive and helpful, with a track record of solving user issues efficiently. Additionally, PureVPN’s website hosts a comprehensive knowledge base, including setup guides, FAQs, and troubleshooting tips.
PureVPN ★ Pros and Cons ★ Verdict
Overall, PureVPN has proven itself as a reliable and well-rounded VPN service. With a vast server network, robust security measures, reasonable pricing, decent speed, and excellent customer support, it stands out as a solid choice for many users. Whether you are a novice VPN user or an experienced one, PureVPN is certainly worth considering. In the current digital landscape, finding a VPN that strikes the right balance between security, speed, price, and reliability can be a challenging task. PureVPN, with its comprehensive set of features and competitive pricing, succeeds in striking this balance and stands as a strong contender in the realm of VPN services.
- A large number of servers spread across 140+ countries
- Strong encryption and security measures
- Competitive pricing plans
- No-logs policy
- 24/7 customer support
- Speeds may vary based on server location
- No free trial offered; however, there is a 31-day money-back guarantee.